Monday, 2 April 2012

This is work?!?!?!?

I have been back to work (part-time) as of January.  It is not as bad as I thought it would be - I actuallly only work 9 hours a week teaching only a few classes - I can't complain (That much).  I love my job, the people I work with and the fact that I can wear whatever shoes I deem fit on that particular day. The students last semester actually nicknamed me the "Psychology Shoe Lady"  Today I wore colour block wedges.  :)

I bought these online for only $25, after seeing them in Lou Lou Magazine!

Anyways, it was presentation day today.  I love presentations - Watching even the most cocky and loudmouthed students feel uneasy as I "randomly" shoes (choose..LOL) groups to come up and present.  The looks on the students faces as they confront their peers, and the stuttering that occurs from time to time.  I love it when I hear the mumbling in the background, "I hate presentations!"  and "I'm sweaty... Can you tell?"  One time I actually heard a student mumble, "I think I have to fart..."  Little do they know that teachers (amongst other awesome talents) have an superhero hearing.  This superhero hearing makes work worth while.  Yes folks, presentation day makes me happy.  And in the midst of me enjoying all this anxiety, I always tell my students that they have done well, once the presentation is completed.  I tell them that their powerpoints and Prezis were worth all the hard work, sweats and farts.  I remember what it was like to present in front of my peers.  I hated it, I was a nervous wreck and dreaded every second of my moment in the  spotlight.  I understand the angst that accompanies presentations.  But what I also understand is the importance of affirming the abilities of my students, especially when I know they are nervous.  I make it a point to thank them for presenting.  Thanking students is important - It makes them feel that respect is reciprocated.  And it is.  I appreciate my students - For without them I am only a woman with fabulous shoes and a lot of head knowledge.... but no one to share it with.

I love my job. 

Though I would  also love to be a buyer for a certain department store with an iconic magenta bag...

Just kidding.  Kinda-sorta but  not really.


No comments:

Post a Comment